Edited by Nora Díaz Bretherton
Going green. It seems to be on everyone’s mind these days.
Casa Latina is proud to partner with IKEA to present some helpful tips and product ideas that can easily be incorporated into your home and lifestyle. As consumers, we need to become aware of what we buy so we can integrate eco friendly products into our everyday lives. By changing our habits in small ways we can make a large collective impact.
IKEA brainstormed with Green Guru Danny Seo for ideas on small changes and mindful products that can have a big impact on the environment:
Tips for Home
- Use the IKEA blue bag for all shopping trips. It’s big, reusable and lightweight. Place one in the car, in your briefcase, wherever they’ll work as a handy reminder to bring along to any store.
- Use a water filtering pitcher or system and a reusable container to avoid buying individual plastic water bottles. (Also good for on the go!)
- Use adjustable blinds to control heat build up from direct sunlight, reducing energy costs.
Tips for Work
- Make it company policy for all printing to be double sided. Reuse the backside of paper that would otherwise be discarded to create memo pads.
- Offer premium parking to employees using fuel efficient vehicles.
- Store and reuse packing materials such as bubble wrap and packing peanuts.
Tips for on the Road
- Use group shuttle services for transportation from airport to hotel, rather than individual taxis.
- Most hotels participate in linen and towel reuse programs. Request towels and linens only when necessary and not on a daily basis.
- Little things add up! Turn off all lights, and shut down laptops when leaving the room. Close curtains to keep room cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Lower the heat or air conditioner when out of the room.
BEHANDLA Stain (13.oz)
- Made of natural linseed oil and water
JANSJO Desk Light
- Includes light diode
- Has 50 times longer life than an incandescent bulb
- Consumes less energy
- Never has to be replace
IKEA PS GULLHOLMEN Rocker
- Made from banana leaves – a by product of harvesting industry-
- Made of a renewable, recyclable material
KAJSA TRAD Full/Queen Cover Set
- 100% cotton
- Free of harmful optical brighteners