Just because summer is officially over, you don’t have to forego a light airy feel in your home. Thom Filicia, host of the new Style Network show, Tacky House has put together quick, chic and eco-thoughtful ways to lighten up your living space. Going “green” for a lighter look has never been easier:
Refinish, Repurpose or Recycle
- One of the easiest, quickest and most economical ways of brightening up your space for the summer is to refinish, repurpose or recycle an old piece of furniture. A fresh coat of VOC-free paint can immediately bring an older piece back to life and a bright, white shade, in particular, can fit almost anywhere…including your porch or backyard.
“Lighten” the mood around your home
- Light can and should be more than functional…it can create ambiance or spotlight choice décor. Be as energy efficient as possible by taking advantage of eco-friendly light bulbs – many people assume CFLs are the only energy-efficient option choice, but there are other options out there, such as halogens.
- The SYLVANIA halogen SUPERSAVER A-line light bulb is perfect for those resistant to give up incandescent lighting, but looking to make environmental improvements to their home.
- Switch things up by replacing a current shade with one made of linen or grass cloth – it’s a beautiful way to bring an organic look and feel to your light source.
Bring the Outdoors In
- Dried branches, drift wood and interesting stones found on vacation are great decorative pieces as well reminders of the fun places you have been. Use these instead of flowers to fill vases and place around the home.
- Repurpose an old wooden box for a plant, such as mint, for a country chic look. Mint not only looks and smells great, but is also the perfect finishing touch to toss into salads or cocktails.