Hola mi gente,
Have you ever noticed when you’re on a diet, you tend to think about your favorite [unhealthy] foods? Yeah, me too. I have taken a challenge to eat healthier and add some exercise to my daily routine. With all the unhealthy snacks and meals I have cut back on there’s one thing I miss the most, takeout. Well, to be more specific I miss vegetable fried rice. There I said it. That is my takeout go to item. I don’t need to eat anything else but that rice. It is very addictive. It tastes so delicious. Unfortunately, as good as it tastes, it is also not the best meal choice. Depending on restaurants and the style fried rice can range from 500 to 800 calories. That is a lot. So what can you do when you’re so enamored with a type a food you cannot eat? Easy peasy, you learn to make a healthier version of it. Now, I have experimented with a few styles and techniques and I think I have found a winner. To also make it feel more authentic you can visit a craft supply store (like Michael’s) and purchase Chinese takeout boxes. So, without further ado, I share with you a recipe for fried rice. I hope you enjoy it as much as me and my familia have.
What you need:
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (best if 1 day old)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup cooked peas
- 1⁄2 cup cooked chopped carrot
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 3⁄4 cup parsley and cilantro mixed
- 1 egg, beaten
- soy sauce, to taste
What you do:
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in pan and sauté green flakes.
- Remove from heat.
- Heat remaining oil in pan and add rice.
- Add egg and mix until rice is thoroughly coated with egg.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes on high, or until egg is lightly browned.
- Combine rice mixture and vegetables in large bowl and stir until vegetables are well mixed.
- Add soy sauce to taste and serve.
I hope you all share your recipes with me. Remember, if you have any questions regarding recipes or want to share a recipe feel free to email me at Punkstarcupcakes@yahoo.com. I would love to hear from you and share your ideas online.
Until next time mi gente..
Dira Monroe ©