Valentine’s Day is almost here again. Many of us receive flowers from our enamorados y esposos along with other expressions of amor. Sadly, the flowers that are loving bestowed upon us do not last as long as we would like. However there are simple steps you can take to keep them looking fresh so you can enjoy them a little longer.
Follow These Steps To Maximize The Vase Life For Your Flowers:
- If you do not have a flower food packet mix 2 tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice and 1 tbsp sugar per quart of water
- Fill a vase with the solution to within 1-2 inches of the rim
- Remove any leaves and foliage that would fall under the water line
- Cut each stem at about ½ inch from the bottom, at a 45 degree angle, with a sharp single blade knife or floral clippers
- Display arrangement in a cool location between 65-72 degrees and away from direct sunlight and heat or dehumidifying sources
- Flowers need to be rehydrated after shipment. They will “perk up” after several hours of drinking when cared for according to the instructions above.
- Top off the water level daily
- Clean the vase, change the flower food solution and recut the stems every two day
- Roses have an outer layer called “guard petals” that keep the bloom tight and protect the flower during shipping. They may appear discolored or bruised – simply remove these petals and the rose will blossom over the next few days.
- Lilies will bloom over the course of several days. Remove the pollen to avoid staining. Pollen dust can be removed from the flower petals by lightly brushing with a pipe cleaner. Cut off expired lily blooms as blooms closer to the tip continue to open.
To learn more about Organic Bouquets click here.