I had a conversation with my cousin and he mentioned that I was not able to make rice pudding like my mother. First and foremost, I don’t think anyone on the planet can cook exactly like their mothers, but I do come close. I wanted to share my version of rice pudding with my cousin and the world. I hope you all enjoy it. Mum, if you’re reading this I hope this recipe makes you proud and thanks for always sharing your cooking tips and secrets with me. I won’t tell my siblings that I am your favorite.
What you need:
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1(12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1(14 ounce) can condensed milk
- 1(14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄2cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 6 cloves
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick
What you do:
- First it is recommended that you soak the rice in water for at least 3 hours before cooking so that it can soften up. After it has been soaking for a bit remove the water and begin to cook it. My mum has never done this so this part is up to you.
- In a heavy saucepan over med heat, bring the rice and water to a boil.
- Lower the heat to simmer (LOW), add the cloves and cinnamon stick. Stir.
- Let this cook (uncovered) until the water has evaporated ( 8 – 15 minutes ).
- Add the remaining ingredients (except the pinch of cinnamon), stir gently once, and again let simmer (uncovered) until all liquid has evaporated.
- Transfer into a casserole or serving dish, garnish with the pinch of cinnamon (sprinkle on top) and refrigerate.
- Keep refrigerated. May be served at room temperature.
- Buen Provecho mi gente!!!
Dira Monroe ©